Monday, April 9, 2018

It' Monday, what are you reading?


Skipped last week, but back in for this week....I'm going to share the last two picture books I read to my class......next week I'll have some chapter books, but I need to finish reading them....

We had a book fair this past week, always have one during parent conferences... It was a Buy One, Get One Free.....Good deal!  So I bought a book for each of my students!  They picked them out, they had to be less than $6 and it had to be a narrative book....check them out
They were very excited!  I bought a Superhero Manual to read to them, plus another picture book and a chapter book, but they are in my car at the moment...so don't remember the titles....

This is a book I bought last year at the book fair...(I try to buy books every year to help support) It's a fun book...the main character wants quiet, so he is going to make a wordless book...however his two friends haven't quite caught on to the concept yet.....It's a good book for discussing frustrations and the skill of listening....

and one of my favorite books...
I LOVE Molly Lou Melon!  There is a sequel called, Have Fun Molly Lou Melon.  I haven't read that one to my class yet.  Molly Lou is a very unique little girl, but she is supported by a grandma who gives her wise advice.  It's great for talking about differences and accepting them in each other...Molly Lou reminds me of Katie from The Recess Queen, which is another favorite.  Although that one is more centered on bullying....

I am trying to read that second knit book: A Knit Before Dying by Sadie Hartwell
But with sentences like this one, sometimes it's a slog to get through:

"Not that there had been any secret about that--the moving truck parked on Main Street had been as conspicuous as a rhinoceros at a tea party, even in Dorset Fall's moribund downtown, and it had been clearly visible from the general store, where most Dorset Fall-its congregated at some point or another."
That's a 53 word sentence!!!! 
And she says the same thing twice...all of Dorset Falls saw the moving truck.....And again I'm thrown off by the whole "she's from New York and this is a small town, that is not NYC"  The author mentions MANY times that the main character is from New York....so again, I want to like it...and I'm reading the second book, but I doubt I'll read any other things she might write.... 

If you'd like to join in...here are the people hosting:
Kathryn at The Book Date
Jen at Teachmentortexts
Kellee of Unleashingreaders

10 comments:

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Wow, those are some very happy students you have there! How very generous of you to purchase books for all of them. That makes my heart smile! I've not yet read Stand Tall, but I'm in luck because I see it's in our tri-college library system. Thanks so much for sharing!

Jo said...

Have you read Knit one Purl Two? It's pretty cute. This is my first visit to your blog, and I am a new subscriber!!
http://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/04/its-monday-what-are-you-reading_9.html

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Joann...YES! Those are my favorite ones....I really wanted to love this series, as it's set in my state...but the writing/editing is just bad....

Kathy Martin said...

What a great teacher! I always loved that buy one-get one book fair. I hope your cozy improves. That is one very long sentence! Come see my week here. Happy reading!

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

It’s so cool that you got books for your students. I wish you were my teacher. Have a great week!

Aj @ Read All The Things!

pussreboots said...

Nice selection from of books. Come see what I'm reading

Cheriee Weichel said...

I admit that one of the best things about retirement is not having to worry about bookfairs anymore.
I suspect that if you were not already your student's favourite teacher, after the book giveaway, you are now!

GatheringBooks said...

I so love Molly Lou Melon! :)

Stefanie said...

I love book fair even though I see books for myself. I loved bringing my girls to it and love seeing their pile grows.

Tammy and Clare said...

Molly Lou is just the best - Such a powerful book with an important message for learners of all ages.